Monday, October 10, 2011

DIY Burp Clothes

My mom is the queen of crafts and DIY projects. Growing up I was always interested so through out the years I've picked up a few skills. I love sewing, drawing, painting, crocheting, and anything that has to do with crafts. So I thought it would be fun just to share some things that I have done. And since I am currently on bed rest I hope to get a lot of things done that I have been putting off including a ton of baby projects. So lets get down to business shall we...

I'm a huge fan of finding bargains and doing anything to save a penny. Who wouldn't want to?! My first baby project I started is Burp Clothes. I'm not a fan of just plain white so I thought it would be fun to add some color or pattern to them. Burp Clothes can be expensive so what I did was went and bought Gerber Brand cloth diapers. They came in a package of 6. I figured I would be cutting them in half so that would be 12 burp clothes for just $3.99. Bargain! Then I went to my local craft store and bought a yard each of 5 different fabric for the different projects I plan on making among a few other things...



Since more than likely I will have a small baby I wanted to make smaller burp clothes. The first step I did was use a folder and cut out my own pattern. You can make it what ever since you want but this is what I did...

I laid the cloth diaper flat and took the fabric I wanted and laid it front side facing the cloth diaper. Then I laid the pattern on top and pinned it together so I could cut it out. Once it was cut out I sewed it together leaving a 2 inch gap so I could flip it inside out. You could then iron it so the edges are crisp but all I did was sew the edge so it held together better and made it flatter and sewed the 2 inch gap shut. And this is what I got...

 And I made another with different fabric. Not perfect but hey it was my first attempt. Not too bad!

No comments:

Post a Comment