Thursday, January 19, 2012

Pinterest

So like everyone else...I have an obsession with Pinterest. As if it wasn't obvious. My mom found a recipe for Bourbon Chicken. I wasn't to sure about actually making the recipe because the last time I tried making my own chinese food I followed a recipe off of pinterest and it turned out horrible. I wouldn't have even fed that mess to my dog! I have made chicken lo mean and crab rangoon that have turned out yummy tho. So last night I decided to take another go at it. And....it was amazing! I pretty much had everything I needed except garlic and soy sauce. So rather than spending the $8 and something per meal I spent less than $4 for 2 people. Anything to save a penny! The recipe said bourbon chicken but because this had red pepper flakes in it, it tasted more like General Tso. Which is okay with me because that is my favorite! Any who....you can find the original recipe here.

This is what their version looked like...


And this is what mine looked like...The color is off but I'm sure it's because I don't exactly have the best quality camera. That will be fixed soon!

This is the way I make it! I buy chicken in the big bulk packages and divide it up before I put it in the freezer so I don't really measure by pounds. I just use enough to feed 2 people. Which would be about 3 boneless, skinless chicken breasts. I pour oil in the pan and turn it on medium heat. Cut the chicken into small pieces. You can chop it smaller once it cooks all the way. Cook the chicken just enough so it's brown all over. Remove it from the pan and set aside. To the pan you just cooked the chicken in add 1/2 cup water, 1/4 cup apple juice, 1/3 cup soy sauce, 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar, 1 minced garlic clove, 1/3 cup brown sugar, 1 tbsp cornstarch. You need 2 tbsp ketchup ( I don't measure, I just squirt it in the pan) and sprinkle in some crushed red pepper flakes. If you don't like it hot then you could skip the pepper flakes. I add about a teaspoon because I like it spicy. Stir everything together until it's blended. Return the chicken to the pan and cook until the chicken is done and the sauce is thick. I serve mine over rice. Yum Yum!


                                                                                                                            


Have a good Thursday!

~Christine

No comments:

Post a Comment